Based in Scotland and Latvia
March 31st, 2020
Fates of Ort is a retro fantasy RPG focused on strategic action, in a land where time is frozen when you stand still. Cast powerful spells - but beware, they will cost you your life.
The world of Ort is literally crumbling underneath your feet. The ground collapses to reveal cavernous pits. Monsters roam the forests killing indiscriminately. Corrupted mages, delirious with power, weave spells of destruction. Magic has returned to Ort, but it is not the pure and divine magic of the Three Sisters. This is Consumption: Available to those who want everything but are blind to the cost it is a seemingly limitless source of power, drawing on the fabric of the world itself... But what's left when the world crumbles to dust?
Play as a novice mage, forced to take on the responsibility of saving the world and those that are important to you. Freely explore the world, and take on the final boss whenever you feel ready. Fighting enemies using your spells allows you to gain equipment and level up to learn new spells. Quests can be completed to gain access to new areas, save and unlock allies, gain items and powers, and more. Replays are encouraged because small decisions can have permanent and significant consequences, leading to different game outcomes.
Magic: There are multiple spells to discover and learn. The effect of the spells changes depending on what element you combine them with.
Strategy: The game is a hybrid of real-time and turn based action. As long as no action is performed by the player, time stands still. Tactical and considered combat is key.
Open world: Places can be visited out of sequence, and many late stage areas are available right from the beginning. Exploration is encouraged.
Replayability: Decisions made are permanent. The game can be completed without rescuing key NPCs or even the world itself.
Story: Focus is placed on quality narrative and dialogue. Coupled with the beautiful and unique pixel graphics, custom soundtrack, and ambient sounds, the experience is gripping and atmospheric.
Games that inspired Fates of Ort
Diablo 2, Morrowind, Chrono Trigger, Fallout, Eschalon Book
Development of Fates of Ort began in September 2017, and is scheduled to be released on March 31st 2020. The whole development of the game has been live streamed on Twitch (see below for link).
- A hybrid of real time and turn based action. Time is frozen when you stand still.
- Multiple spells to discover and combine with elements for varied effects.
- Endless gear to find – some ordinary, some cursed, some utterly legendary…
- NPC interactions that fundamentally alter the course of the story progression.
- Replayability. Decisions made are permanent. The game can be completed without rescuing key NPCs or even the world itself.
- Developed in the Defold engine. Release is planned for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Logo & Icon
- "Magic, while powerful, will cost you your life force to cast. So it becomes an interesting risk/reward system. It promises some choice which will affect how the game plays out, and how you can choose to save the world or to rule over it. I simply find the hook to be very enticing."
- ClemmyGames, 25 Upcoming Indie RPGs - 2020 and Beyond!
- "What has my interest is the time mechanic, as nothing moves until you do making every movement and action critical and that's where the tactical part of it comes in. Magic also isn't free, it will cost your life if you've not been careful enough. Definitely has my interest fully piqued."
- liamdawe, GamingOnLinux
- "...we are really hyped about this game. So far it is looking to be a great retro inspired experience with depth of strategy and storytelling."
- Andrew Smith, GamesYouShouldKnow
Fates of Ort on Steam
topbraj on Twitch
Fates of Ort on Twitter
Fates of Ort on Facebook
Press Copy - Keymailer
Request a press copy at Keymailer
Press Copy - Distribute()
Request a press copy at Distribute()
We create games that we would've loved to play when we were kids.
More information on 8BitSkull, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Fates of Ort Credits
Programming, Game Design, Business