Based in Scotland and Latvia
March 31st, 2020 (PC) / July 12th, 2021 (Nintendo Switch)
Fates of Ort is a retro fantasy RPG focused on strategic action, in a land where time is frozen when you stand still. Cast powerful spells - but beware, they will cost you your life.
The world of Ort is literally crumbling underneath your feet. The ground collapses to reveal cavernous pits. Monsters roam the forests killing indiscriminately. Corrupted mages, delirious with power, weave spells of destruction. Magic has returned to Ort, but it is not the pure and divine magic of the Three Sisters. This is Consumption: Available to those who want everything but are blind to the cost it is a seemingly limitless source of power, drawing on the fabric of the world itself... But what's left when the world crumbles to dust?
Play as a novice mage, forced to take on the responsibility of saving the world and those that are important to you. Freely explore the world, and take on the final boss whenever you feel ready. Fighting enemies using your spells allows you to gain equipment and level up to learn new spells. Quests can be completed to gain access to new areas, save and unlock allies, gain items and powers, and more. Replays are encouraged because small decisions can have permanent and significant consequences, leading to different game outcomes.
Magic: There are multiple spells to discover and learn. The effect of the spells changes depending on what element you combine them with.
Strategy: The game is a hybrid of real-time and turn based action. As long as no action is performed by the player, time stands still. Tactical and considered combat is key.
Open world: Places can be visited out of sequence, and many late stage areas are available right from the beginning. Exploration is encouraged.
Replayability: Decisions made are permanent. The game can be completed without rescuing key NPCs or even the world itself.
Story: Focus is placed on quality narrative and dialogue. Coupled with the beautiful and unique pixel graphics, custom soundtrack, and ambient sounds, the experience is gripping and atmospheric.
Games that inspired Fates of Ort
Diablo 2, Morrowind, Chrono Trigger, Fallout, Eschalon Book
Development of Fates of Ort began in September 2017. Fates of Ort released for PC on March 31st 2020 and Nintendo Switch on July 12th 2021. The whole development of the game has been live streamed on Twitch (see below for link).
- A hybrid of real time and turn based action. Time is frozen when you stand still.
- Multiple spells to discover and combine with elements for varied effects.
- Endless gear to find – some ordinary, some cursed, some utterly legendary…
- NPC interactions that fundamentally alter the course of the story progression.
- Replayability. Decisions made are permanent. The game can be completed without rescuing key NPCs or even the world itself.
- Developed in the Defold engine. Release is planned for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Nintendo Switch Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "This is simply one of those games where it feels like all the pieces fit together."
- Fnord, SaveorQuit
- "Fates of Ort is an RPG where time stops until you move - it's absolutely great ... a must-have for RPG fans to experience."
- liamdawe, GamingOnLinux
Request press key
Get in touch
8BitSkullDev on Twitch
Fates of Ort on Twitter
Fates of Ort on Facebook
We create games that we would've loved to play when we were kids.
More information on 8BitSkull, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Fates of Ort Credits
Programming, Game Design, Business